Expression Australian Shepherds
We ask you to fill out this
questionnaire to help us get to know you a little and to understand what you are looking for in a puppy.
This questionnaire serves
the purpose of helping us become better acquainted with those inquiring about our Aussies. It serves to present us with a
more complete picture of what you are looking for in a dog and to help us match you, as a potential buyer, with a dog that
will have the potential to turn out to be what you are looking for. This questionnaire in no way constitutes a contract on
our part that there will be an Australian Shepherd available for you, nor do your responses serve as the sole determinant
of whether or not an Australian Shepherd will be offered. Also there are no, right or wrong answers!
As a breeder, I have responsibilities
1. Limited breeding of healthy dogs of sound temperament and genetics.
2. Breeding with the goal of improving
the Australian Shepherd breed.
3. Placing my puppies in responsible loving homes.
4. Protecting my kennel name and the
puppies we produce here.
5. Doing my best to prevent dogs from ending up in shelters or living in an abusive environment.
Protecting my puppies from ending up in back yard breeder or puppy-mill situations.
7. Getting to know and staying in touch
with every home I place one of my puppies in.
Thank you for your assistance.
1. Why are you considering an Australian Shepherd?
2. Have you ever had an Aussie?
3. Have you spoken with any other Australian Shepherd breeders?
If yes, please list them below:
4. Are you currently on the waiting list for any other litters? If yes, please list.
5. Are you looking for a male or female? Why?
6. Do you have a color preference?
7. Will you consider a puppy of another color or sex, if your preference is not
8. Are there others in your household? Children (ages)? If
Yes, please list their names and ages below and
Give me a brief idea of their
exposure to dogs.
9. Do all family members agree on the addition of an Aussie to the family?
10. Who will
be primary caregiver of this dog?
11. Are you looking for a pet or show quality pup/dog?
12. List all plans for this dog: Pet, Guard, Herding, Obedience, Breeding, Conformation, Agility, Other:
13. If you are interested in a show dog (conformation, obedience, agility, etc), have you attended any dog
14. If yes, have you had a show dog before? What
titles have you put on your dog(s)?
15. What type of personality are you looking for in your dog?
16. Do you have any other pets? List all current pets.
17. Previously owned dogs and reason you no longer own them?
18. Do you live in house or apt? Do you own or rent?
19. If you rent can you have a pet per your rental contract or lease agreement?
Landlords name and contact number.
20. Do you have a fenced yard? How large
21. Does fencing completely enclose a yard for the dog? What type of fencing?
22. What type of dog food do you plan to feed?
23. What are your plans for housing and exercising your Australian Shepherd?
24. Do you work outside your home? Where will your dog stay while you are at work?
25. How many hours on the average will the dog spend alone?
26. Where will dog spend the night?
27. Does your family have enough "quality" time to devote to a dog?
28. Are you willing to take responsibility for this dog for the next 10 or more years?
29. All of our pet/companion puppies are sold on ASCA/ AKC Limited Registration and spay/neuter
agreements. Do you have a problem with
this? If yes, why?
30. Are you willing to have the puppy OFA'd after the age of 24 months, and have the puppy's eyes checked on
a yearly basis whether or not you plan to breed?
31. Are you aware of some of the health problem which can appear in some Aussies today?
32. Would you have an objection to signing an agreement, that if for any reason you do not want or can not
keep this dog that it will be signed back over to the breeder?
33. Have you ever given up a dog to a shelter or pound?
34. Are you willing to take your puppy to obedience classes?
35. Please give at least
3 references, name and phone number or email, one being current vet if applicable.
36. Please tell us anything else you would like us to know about why you are looking for an Australian Shepherd
puppy and why you think they would fit in your household and lifestyle.
We would like to thank you
for taking the time to fill out this questionnaire. The idea behind these questions is that, knowing the pup’s temperament
from day one, we may see different things in them than you would as a stranger attempting to pick one. In this way we may
be better able to guide you toward a puppy which realistically suits your experience, needs and goals. We look forward to helping you find the perfect life long companion for your family.
We make every effort to ensure
that our puppies are free from any inherited defects, by screening our breeding stock for those problems common to our breed.
However, due to complex genetic interactions and environmental factors beyond our control, we cannot guarantee that a puppy
purchased from us will be completely free of genetic disorders. If, at any time, your Aussie is diagnosed with any health
problems, genetic or otherwise, PLEASE notify us immediately with the full details so that we can make every effort to help
with the situation. We do guarantee that our puppies are sold with a complete 2 year guarantee against hip, elbow, eye, and
Australian Shepherds are an intelligent breed, who need a job to do, and people to be around.
They do not thrive in an environment where they are a ‘backyard dog’, nor do they
do well, in an environment expecting a dog to lay by the fireplace.
Aussies are herding dogs and may possibly try to “herd” your children or your neighbour’s
children, chase them and nip at their heels. This behaviour, and others, require training and proper socialization in their
They are a double-coated breed and require weekly brushing for optimal health.
In short, Aussies are not a low maintenance breed, however, with proper socialization and training,
they can be a phenomenal family member.
Living situations can change in the future -- moving, divorce/marriage, new baby, new job, illness,
etc. Have you thought about how this may affect your commitment to this puppy?
Are you prepared to commit to this puppy fully in all respects for the dog’s entire life?
this is a commitment you are prepared to make, and want to explore further, please return the above questionnaire to Expression
Aussies for consideration to purchase an Expression Australian Shepherd.
Send e-copy to Lcozad1022@aol.com in the existing MS Word format OR
copy to Lisa Cozad 8417 E FM 917 Alvarado, TX 76009